13 April, 2015

#MicroblogMondays: Kicking out at my emotions

Savannah has a great post about venting her emotions by throwing a wet paper towel at the wall. (Read it – it is more than just the physical act.)

When I was going through my ectopics, a woman who has become a friend suggested some ways to get our anger out, and I don’t think I’ve ever shared them here.

  • Grab some old lipstick and scrawl whatever you want to say all over your (thankfully, easy-to-clean) bathroom mirror.
  • Open a cupboard, and scream into it. (The cupboard - especially if it is one filled with towels etc - muffles sound, so your neighbours won’t call the police).
  • Kick the living daylights out of a cushion or pillow - it won't hurt it.
I tried this with cushions from my couch, as they regularly needed to be fluffed-up. As I kicked the cushion back into shape, I gradually kicked harder and harder, taking out my anger at my situation on the cushion, and getting more and more strength from those very powerful emotions that were released. 

I confess I was not a little scared at how strong those emotions were – but I will also say that the release felt good!


10 comments:

  1. We all need a release. Otherwise it builds and festers. Sounds like you found a very productive way to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how I wish I had known to ask for help when I didn't know what to do with my anger. Is it such a taboo? so not lady like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anger is the hardest emotion for me. I'm scared to unleash it, actually. These are good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to turn the music up loud in the car and scream at the top of my lungs while driving on the highway...I am a commuter so it was a safe alone space.
    I was usually exhausted by the time I got home and could imagine dealing with other tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny that my post inspired your post, because your post reminded me of yet another thing! When we were unchosen, my friend bought me a stuffed bear. She told me I could cuddle it or hurt it, which ever made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will admit that there are some pages in my bullet journal simply covered in very large, very darkly written curse words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some great ideas. It still makes me sad that anyone has to go through IF and need ways to deal with anger in this manner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Husband installed a punching bag in the basement a few years ago.

    I sometimes use it and feel SO much better afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I told Savannah, one of the therapists I saw recommended buying a kiddie plastic bat & ball or Nerfball, and using it against a brick wall or in the basement, etc. She swore by it herself. ;) I've also read that you should buy a set of cheap dishes to smash -- but as Savannah said, you know who will wind up having to clean it up later, lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Screaming in a pillow is also very cathartic. For me, going on a hard run - even if just for a mile - but really pushing myself always helps. I burn a lot of energy and release the endorphins all at once.

    ReplyDelete